As a responsible pet owner, you should understand what you’re doing regarding your dog’s diet. It is critical that you examine what you feed your dog, equally as you would with your own diet. Numerous health problems can be caused by eating an unhealthy and unbalanced diet.
Reasons Why Giving Your Dog Cooked Bones Are Dangerous
It’s an old belief that dogs enjoy having bones to chew on. Yet, many vets recommend dog owners that this old-time practice can be unsafe at worst. Bones become more brittle after cooking, which boosts the danger your dog will endure an internal injury from chewing on them.
Bones lose some of their nutritional value when cooked, too. While offering your dog a cooked bone to chew on may temporarily delight them, it comes with some potential dangers.
They Can Get Choke
There is a danger of esophageal obstruction if bone pieces are swallowed. It can pierce the esophagus and other soft tissues in the back of the throat. Your dog may have difficulty breathing if a bone fragment lodges in its trachea (windpipe). Do note that coughing or choking is a medical emergency.
Take your pet to an animal hospital providing pet urgent care quickly if it is choking on a bone.
It Gets Stuck in the Stomach
Although fully digested, the bone may be too large to move on from the stomach and into the intestines. Your dog may need surgery or an upper gastrointestinal endoscopy, depending on the size of the bone. In order to attempt and remove the trapped bone from the stomach, your vet will utilize a long tube fitted with a camera and gripping devices.
As a fur parent, it is your responsibility to keep an eye on your pet’s nutrition because of its impact on your dog’s overall health, especially its teeth. Regular trips to Greensboro veterinary clinic are necessary for maintaining your dog’s oral health.
It Can Injure the Intestines
Bone fragments aren’t just dangerous because they can cut your dog’s mouth; they can also pierce its stomach and intestines. Bone pieces can often be so large that they totally puncture the stomach’s or intestine’s protective lining, allowing stomach and intestinal contents to flow into the abdomen.
This results in peritonitis, an abdominal infection that can be fatal despite prompt medical attention.
It Can Cut the Mouth and Tongue
Bone fragments can have incredibly sharp edges when they break. Dogs can shatter bone into razor-sharp pieces that can quickly puncture the soft part of the mouth, the cheeks, or the tongue. On the other hand, you also need to monitor what kind of treats you give to your dog. Many pet owners usually select milk bone treats for their pets.
However, it has ingredients like milk, beef, and wheat that some dogs may be allergic to and can cause a milk-bone allergy. These are some of the signs they could run into:
- Ear inflammation and itching
A quick visit with a pet dermatologist is required if they begin showing any of the mentioned signs. To learn more about pet allergies, click here.
The Bottom Line
Raw bones are fantastic if your dog has a strong desire to chew. Dogs can eat most raw bones that haven’t been cooked. Bones from chicken, turkey, lamb, or beef are tender enough to eat raw. All bones, nonetheless, carry the potential for choking if swallowed by your dog. That’s why watching them is vital whenever they’re chewing on a bone.